BWSI Program Application Process
The BWSI enrollment applications is closed temporarily until we know which courses will be run virtually. There will be a new virtual program application after the available courses have been decided.
Please ignore March 31 deadlines for courses and applications, they are being extended in this very unique time. BWSI Virtual Program will have a new later deadline. You will be notified via email and our website when enrollment is open for the virtual courses.
The application process is multistep, all correspondence is done through email, so its important to chose an address that is not blocked by a firewall and you know how to check spam-filtered mail
1) Teachers or mentors must nominate the student for access to the online course (BWSIx.edu)
They can request the BWSI information package from firstname.lastname@example.org
2) Student will be sent a link to register for access to the online course
They will receive their unique ID number after they complete and submit their registration for the online course.
The online course will open for study in January 2020, students will also need to register on Piazza to be able to participate in the course forum for Q&A.
The online courses (all) will remain open for independent learners, even if they are not accepted into the July program
3) Nominated students will be emailed the enrollment application link and password for the summer program and will need to complete and return by 30 April
The enrollment acceptance is based on progress in online course, short essays in the application and teacher recommendation.
Virtual Program application and courses will be announced as soon as they are ready. March 31, 2020 is no longer the deadline for the application, the virtual application will be extended. Once we have more information we will post it here.
If you have not received the summer enrollment application email, please check your spam/junk folder, and then email email@example.com to be resent the enrollment link and password.
4) All students applying will be notified on 15 May of acceptance decisions for this summer's virtual BWSI, there will not be an in-person program.
The virtual courses will require a teacher recommendation. The link you have from the application will be the link for them to use. You can have a teacher send in the recommendation anytime. We do not have the deadline set yet for when the techer recommendations will be due.
The Beaver Works Summer Institute is working to convert our curriculum to virtual courses and still provide the depth and experience of these project based courses. We have committed to providing the following so far:
If you are interested in appling to one of these courses, you must complete the BWSI Online Education Program, designed to prepare students for the technically rigorous BWSI summer programs. To participate in the online course, a student must submit the following:
- A nomination for online course by a school technical point of contact (POC), typically a STEM teacher or school administrator familiar with the student’s schoolwork and technical abilities. The nomination form for the teacher/recommender can be found at BWSI nomination for online course
- The BWSIx registration for the student will be sent to them once the request comes in from the teacher/recommender.
The official online courses do not start until late January 2020 and students will not be able to start the courses until then.
At that time if your application is approved, the student will receive an email containing a unique ID number and password as well as instructions on how to access the online course website.
Teachers, prior BWSI students, and teaching assistants (TAs) can also apply for online course access by using the same BWSI online course request link and filling out the form.
The online course is free to all students. Teachers, mentors and recommenders should email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.