Beaver Works Middle School Programs
BW Middle School Programs
We are delaying our engineering programs for middle school students due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here is information on our programs when we start them again in the fall as Saturday classes and for Summer of 2021.
- Note: This is NOT a residential program, but intended for Boston-area students
- RACECAR 1 is for students who have not had a chance to learn robotics or programming
- RACECAR 2 requires RACECAR 1
- We are also creating a course in Designing for Assistive Technology! It will takes students through the design and prototyping process to build what they think will help someone with a disability.
- Summer Program details
- We will have addtional and expanded programs, Mini-RACECAR 1 and (Advanced) Mini-RACECAR 2.
- Available to local students, it is not a residential program (housing is not provided).
- It will be 4 weeks starting the Tuesday after the July 4th weekend, Monday-Friday 9am - 3:30pm, and will include Saturday & Sunday on Final Event weekend.
- Students are provided lunches.
- Online courses are not required
- Mini-RACECAR 1 and Designing for Assistive Tech do not need prior experience, laptops and supplies are provided for in-class use
- Mini-RACECAR 2 requires prior participation in Mini-RACECAR 1, either in summer or in school year program
- Teacher recommendation and student essay will be part of enrollment application (to be released in April)
- Cost- FREE, there is no cost for students to participate in this course. Support for this comes from the generous sponsors of Beaver Works, including MIT and Lincoln Laboratory.
- School year programs
- We are partnering with the Eliot, Fessenden, Pioneer Charter Middle Schools and Madison Park Technical Vocational High School to run their own programs with this material
- Contact us if your school is interested in using this curriculum as an enrichment or in-school program